Cape Town – The Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF) has announced a call for projects from sub-Saharan Africa.
The funding covers the cost of collecting existing data and capturing this in a suitable database and submitting to GBIF.
GBIF has organised a webinar for the Africa region on 11 June 2020 8:00 GMT for 2 hours.
The aim of the webinar is to present the work of GBIF and explain how organizations in the Africa region can get involved.
“We will discuss the opportunities available through the Biodiversity Information for Development (BID) programme in particular,” the GBIF secretariat said.
The webinar will:
- Introduce GBIF and the BID programme
- Hear success stories and lessons from a group of African projects that previously received funding through the BID programme to mobilize biodiversity data, strengthen national and regional biodiversity information networks, and support policy needs relating to protected areas, threatened species and invasive alien species
- Introduce the GBIF Participants in the region, and highlight the main objectives of a regional engagement strategy under development to strengthen participation in GBIF in the Africa region
- Share information on the upcoming call for proposals under the BID programme for the sub-Saharan Africa region, including the grant types that will be available
- Respond to your questions and provide information on how to stay engaged with GBIF and the BID programme in the future
The webinar will take place on Zoom; please register to participate on
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
The webinar will be presented in English. Questions will be accepted in English, French and Portuguese.